Although any of our joints can be troubled by osteoarthritis, the knee is one of the most likely joints to be affected. As knee pain can impact many of the things we take for granted, such as walking or climbing stairs, it’s important to find ways to manage it. Medical guidelines recommend that the best way to manage your pain is through a combination of self-help measures.
- Get exercising: Experts recommend exercise as the first thing to do to manage your knee pain. There are three types of exercise that can help: Strengthening, Flexibility, Aerobic.
- Pace yourself: It’s important to recognize that you may need to learn to pace yourself more when doing your daily activities, as otherwise there is a risk that you’ll overdo things and cause more damage to your knee.
- Lose some weight:. Research shows if you’re overweight then you’re more likely to develop osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Managing your pain relief: Only use pain relievers as directed by physician.
- Get your shoes on: Experts recommend shock-absorbing shoes and insoles. Choose shoes with low heels that lace up and provide support for the feet and avoid high heels and sandals.
- Going hot and cold: Applying hot packs or patches or ice packs to the knee is recommended as an add-on to other measures.
Trinity Hospital, Zirakpur/Chandigarh is housed with region’s first state-of – the art Osteoporosis Detection & Treatment Centre. It is managed by expert panel which includes Orthopedician, Gynaecologist, Physiotherapist and Dietician.
Dr Mohinder Kaushal
HOD, Orthopeadics & Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery